[plug] xfree wierdness

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Feb 25 20:41:54 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 19:59, Craig Dyke wrote:

> I have attached my xfree log but am unable to see problem except some font
> stuff
> which i always seem to get.

OK. That suggests to me that your X server is working fine, but the GDM
greeter is terminating as soon as it launches. I take it nothing is
reported in /var/log/messages or /var/log/gdm/* ?

The fact that both gdm and kdm do this is particularly puzzling. If it
were just one, I'd suspect some sort of configuration breakage. So, if I
understand correctly:

(login as self)
$ startx

works fine, but

(login as root)
# /etc/init.d/gdm start

and

(login as roto)
# /etc/init.d/kdm start

both cause the X server to repeatedly restart without providing a login
screen?

Have you recently installed anything - say, NVidia driver updates,
security fixes possibly involving X/KDM/GDM, etc? Any changes you can
think of?

Craig Ringer