Remote installation WAS Re: [plug] next Installfest?

Jay Turner jturner at bsis.com.au
Fri Feb 27 13:18:19 WST 2004

> What i want to do is. "Turn on Computer and plug into network" and the
> installation is done. That way i can have many different directories of
> Linux for many different roles. I can chroot to them and update them.

I can almost do that..

I turn on the computer, boot from a redhat boot floppy and the system
fetches a kickstart config
file and partitions, formats and installs the required packages over http on
my LAN.

Can have a basic, uncustomised system built and ready to go in under 10
minutes.

Works great in my development environment where I need to rebuild back to a
base installation often, while testing various components.