[plug] [OT] ever had one of those days...

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Feb 27 14:06:20 WST 2004

.. when everything seems to be working fine and you're finally getting
somewhere, but then everything comes to a screeching halt.

That was me this morning, finally happy that everything is going fine.
Spent the last couple of days transferring over data from old computers
to a clients new server  (Linux/Samba) dealing with dodgy hardware and
the like with these old machines.  I was finishing off transferring the
data off of the last computer this morning and it all of a sudden
freezes in the middle of file copying.  Thinking its probably the dodgy
computer, I restart and try again.  This time it comes up with an
"input/output error" when trying to copy data to the server.  Go into
where the server is housed to be confronted with a "lovely" array of
orange lights from the hard disk bays.  I think you can guess what the
first thing I said was....

Out of 6 drives, 4 are now classed as being "defunct" by the RAID/SCSI
controller, only one is online and appears to be functioning (its a
system drive and it boots halfway into Linux before Linux complains
about /home no longer existing - t'was the 3 drive RAID 5 array) and the
hot spare is attempting to be rebuilt into the array with the one
functioning drive (one of the system drives), but it looks like its
having a really hard time in doing so.

*sighs*

/ Ben