[plug] NEW M$ Patent?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Feb 27 15:06:54 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 14:56, James Devenish wrote:

> LOL, and fvwm, OpenLook, CDE and something called 'Virtual Desktop' for
> Mac OS from the early-nineties. Presumably other machines had this, too
> -- someone's already mentioned some DECs (with what windowing system?).
> I wonder if there was any desktop or workstation platform that /didn't/
> have this feature last millennium? Not DOS, I presume ;-)

A further (if still quick) reading of the PDF indicates that they may be
trying to patent 'previews' in the pager (like Enlightenment, at least,
has been doing for ages). It's _not_ a patent on virtual desktops.

http://www.pat2pdf.com/cgi-bin/patent_pdf.cgi?patent_number=20030189597&Submit.x=14&Submit.y=7&Submit=Get+the+PDF

Craig Ringer