[plug] burning an iso image to CD

Clare Johnstone clare at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 18:12:19 WST 2004

> > Can someone enlighten me with the proper command to burn an ISO image
> > on /dev/cdrom (0,0,0) to a  CD Burner.

Hi all,
I have had to do a lot of experimenting with this since I got a rather
modern machine, using late versions of 2.4 series kernels.

It seems still to be necessary to have the module ide-scsi, and have it as
an append to the kernel when booting. (For a while I didn't need it
<sigh>. But then with kernel 2.4.25 suddenly I do need it. The command
cdrecord -scanbus was not working although cdrecord seemed ok. It wasn't.
So cdrecord -scanbus needs to show the device else md5sums _will_ be bad.)
I am using cdrtools version 2.0.

This applies to data CDs rather than music CDs which I know nothing about.

To make an iso from a CD in order to burn a copy,
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=X.iso bs=2M

To write that to a blank CD
cdrecord -v -dao speed=16 fs=16m dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 X.iso

The above command does work, and it took a bit of trial and error to
achieve it. (e.g. to stop getting errors in the kernel log, or read errors
from the CD itself.)

Some of it came via google from