[plug] df mandrake 9.1 -> 9.2

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 1 19:18:36 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <20040101111222.GA24211 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 07:12:22PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 07:07:46PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> | What does /etc/mtab look like?
[...]
> $ grep /bigdrive /etc/mtab
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /bigdrive reiserfs rw 0 0

According to the man page, /etc/mtab is actually generated by `mount`,
not the kernel. So, it might be possible to "improve" the output of df
by patching mount so that /etc/mtab looks more like /etc/fstab or
/proc/mounts. (AFAIK df gets its list of devices from /etc/mtab, via
getmntent(3).)

> Bizarre - I would actually have expected mtab to contain the same as the
> fstab but /proc/mounts to contain the kernel's idea of what the devices
> were.  I actually suspect that the latter might be a spot that the devfs
> people missed when altering the kernel to use their new device names?

Hmm :)