[plug] Formatting a USB Flash Disk in Linux

Ady Gould KiltOtter at bdu.org
Thu Jan 1 21:06:08 WST 2004

Ok gentlemen and ladies

I have been asked how to do some things with a Flash Disk...

1.	unmount a flash disk
2.	format a flash disk to vFAT or such
3.	mount the flash disk to read/write with the FAT FS

The lady in question, Margo, can mount her partner's Flash disk without a
problem in (Red Hat) Fedora, yet her disk will not.

As she said to me online: "when I plug it in, fedora inserts the correct
line in the fstab to mount the disk with auto to pick up the fs"

Make of Flash Disks: a-data
Flash disk that works is: 32mg usb1.0 - never formatted
Flash disk that will not: a new 256mg usb2.0 - formatted in XP to FAT /
FAT32 with and without the utilities for the drive

Can anyone help me with this one - I'm lost anyhow :)

I've CC-ed Margo this question so if you reply can you send to her as well?
Thanks

Ady

Ady "KiltOtter" Gould
Web Designer & Administrator, Educator, Otter and Kilt Wearer
Manager of Bears Down Under -  <http://bdu.org/> http://BDU.org
Useful sites:[ <http://bdu.org/> Bears Down Under] [ <http://technix.org/>
TechniX.org] [ <http://westozleather.com/> West Oz Leather]

Cookie Monster: Always be happy, but never be satisfied.
Cookies are generated automatically and do not necessarily reflect the
opinion of the sender.