[plug] USB questions further info needed

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jan 2 18:45:32 WST 2004

laurie anderson wrote:
>  there is no further output beyond this point from 'dmesg'
>  therefore the output related to USB is missing, it is also reasonable to
>  assume that OS cannot see USB ports.

Possibly. Check to see if the usb modules are loaded:

$ lsmod | grep usb

and if not, try loading them:

$ modprobe usb-uhci

Also, check to see if usbdevfs is mounted, by running:

$ mount | grep usbdevfs

If nothing shows up, try:

# mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb

and then look in /proc/bus/usb to see what's there. You should see a
file called 'devices' and some directories, probably '001' and '002',
plus maybe more. To see what devices are connected, try running:

# egrep '^S:' /proc/bus/usb/devices

As my system currently has no USB devices connected, it only shows the
usb ports for me:

S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.0-test11 uhci_hcd
S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1f.4
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.0-test11 uhci_hcd
S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1f.2

Please reply with the results of these various tests, and we'll see what
happens from there. The fact that nothing shows up in your dmesg
suggests that your usb support is simply not being loaded at all.

Hmm... the output of these commands could be handy too:

# find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -name \*usb\*
# lspci

(you may need to 'apt-get install lspci' if it isn't already there).

>  The question becomes what is  'agpgart module', what package does it belong
>  to (need to fix this before being able to proceed further), where do we
>  find information on it etc ???

The agpgart is totally unrelated to USB; it's the driver that controls
the high-speed interface between graphics cards and the system bus. If
your system doesn't have AGP support, this error is not unusual. If you
do have AGP support, maybe your AGP chipset isn't supported by the
kernel version you're using... it's not a big deal anyway, since
graphics access will simply happen in PCI mode instead. The only time
you'll really care is if you're trying to use 3D graphics programs.

Craig Ringer