[plug] USB questions further info needed

laurie anderson vautin at aijv.com.au
Sat Jan 3 18:30:35 WST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:39:01 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

 Craig wrote

> >   $ 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce USB Controller (rec c3)
> >   $ 00:03.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce USB Controller (rec c3)
>
> That's the key. As Bernard just said, you have an OHCI controller that
> needs a different driver. OHCI controllers aren't normally found on PC
> motherboards - only the nForce AFAIK - so it's unusual.
>
> If using `modprobe usb-ohci` as Bernard suggested gets you basic usb
> support (ie mounting usbdevfs works, usb messages turn up in dmesg, and
> you can see the usb root hubs in /proc/bus/usb/devices), you'll need to
> make sure usb-ohci gets loaded at boot.
>
> If this is a debian box, the easy way is to just add 'usb-ohci' (sans
> quotes) on a line by it's self to the /etc/modules file. For most other
> distros, add a 'modprobe usb-ohci' command to the end of
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local .
>
> Then you're back on track.
>
> Craig Ringer

  Craig,

  Followed Bernard's recommendation  'modprobe usb-ohci' then did

  # lsmod | grep usb
    usb-ohci			18888
    usbcore			62604

  # mount | grep usbdevfs
    none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

  # egrep '^S:' /proc/bus/usb/devices
    S:  Product=USB OHCI Root Hub
    S:  SerialNumber=e0945000
    S:  Product=USB OHCI Root Hub
    S:  SerialNumber=e0943000

  The above looks better.
  As I am using Debian Sarge + a couple of bits from unstable 'apt-get install hotplug'
  should do it, anyway thats the theory

  Thanks  Craig & Bernard, will let you both know how it progresses.

  Laurie
  PS  aaah a step closer.