[plug] reinstall for new core hardware?

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Mon Jan 5 15:11:47 WST 2004

Hi all,

I have a machine running all the usual server-side suspects (web, mail,
dns, etc).  If I was to take the hard drives from that box (machine A)
and put them into another (machine B), including the OS partitions
(containing /, /usr, /etc...), would machine B boot?  Mandrake 9.1 is
the OS, with quite a few updates, and of course many customisations,
applied.  I'm planning to move the machine to Debian soon, but not until
I've explored it with machine A first.

Machine A is a celeron 533 and machine B is a dual P3 500 with an Intel
N440BX board (upgraded firmware for the P3's).  A slight improvement ;-)

They both have onboard graphics, but I'd have to assume different
drivers are required.  Machine B has onboard LAN while machine A has a
generic PCI NIC, so different drivers there also.  That's not counting
the rest of the onboard resources - controllers, etc.

Obviously there will need to be a kernel compile in there somewhere (in
my case, probably about 5 or 6 before I get it right) with the increased
number of processors and probably other things (?)

What I'm mostly interested in is the boot process, the first time in the
new box.  Will the OS cope with the changes to the entire set of system
resources?  How automated will the process of detecting and installing
the correct drivers be?  Will it be easier to just save the contents of
/etc and a few other locations, wipe the rest of the OS and reinstall,
then copy back /etc (etc)?

I'm not even sure if this is a general Linux question, or more
specifically a Mandrake question (probably both actually) so any advice
or info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ben

--