[plug] reinstall for new core hardware?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Jan 5 19:19:48 WST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:54:29PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| >something's gone awry.  Aren't shell scripts wonderful like that? :-P
|
| I'm occasionally tempted to have a go at rewriting the system init
| scripts in Python. I'd be interesting as a learning experience, and the
| error handling would be nice. It'd also be an opportunity to introduce
| parallel loading of independent tasks.

Yeah.  I like Python, but I can foresee problems in using it in this
particular case.  Like, say, not working if /usr is a seperate
partition... or an NFS mount.  Not to mention being rather fragile -
shell scripts can normally survive having minor syntax errors; Python
won't even attempt to run.

But, as you say, it'd certainly be a learning experience ;-)

| >Hmm, even 'linux single' will (try to) mount partitions from fstab.
| >I've normally done it with 'linux init=/bin/sh' but then again, I might
| >just be masochistic ;-)
|
| Me too, but I'm reluctant to recommend that to someone who may not be
| familiar with the real basics - mounting /proc, starting devfsd if
| needed, remounting root read/write, etc.

Hm, okay.  You shouldn't need to bother with mounting /proc or starting
devfsd just to edit fstab.  Mounting /usr might be required (to get at
$EDITOR) - but if the fstab has changed you'd have to do that by
hand anyway.

Cameron.