ntpd, chrony [was: Re: [plug] Backimg up entire drive]

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 5 19:55:57 WST 2004

I was having probs with ntp and decided to shift to chrony.  Whilst
initially happy, I have gone back to ntp.

Chrony requires rtc as a module or compiled in, and vmware didnt like it
(since fixed though).  Time regulation was poor compared to ntp on a
dialup with a high usage (i.e., teenagers ...).  Didnt like stop/start
operation (would silently die - often!).  gentoo has had a tick adjust
in the kernel that ntp can handle, but chrony demands it be only set to
100.

Some of these may be fixed, but overall I find ntp just works, chrony
was a constant monitor for "why is the time off this time"

BillK