[plug] Keyboard stops workign when X starts

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Jan 5 22:43:54 WST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:07:49 +0800 Trent Lloyd <trent at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Running Debian Unstable on a Celeron 266 with XF4 and an s3virge card
>
> wHen I start X the keyboard stops responding, if I stop X (via remote login ssh) then it still doesnt work. (even on the console)
>
> I've tried the vesa driver as well

Hi Trent

I know if the PS/2 mouse isn't plugged in then the keyboard goes dead too.
I'd like to know why X does this but your symptoms have a familiar ring.

Sometimes this is because the little PS/2 plug has fallen off the m/b inside
the box on the ancient systems that still have a cable to a PS/2 on a
faceplate. 266MHz is the ancient world I know too well :-)

If you suspect same, select a serial port for the mouse (you don't need
one plugged in .. it's just to test) and see if the keyboard is ok when X
starts. Use the Num Lock or Caps Lock and observe the LEDs.

HTH
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2004		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/	12-17 January 2004, Adelaide, South Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/