[plug] Linux and ACLs - bit more info!

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jan 6 13:23:58 WST 2004

Denis Brown wrote:
> Hmmm... fortunately this server will not be in demand 24/7 so I have some
> windows of opportunty to do fsck'ing via a cron job.

I actually remount /home and /var read-only then do a read-only
resiserfsck on them via a job in /etc/cron.monthly/ - just to be sure.
That said, it really shouldn't be needed.

> I thought I'd heard
> some bad things about XFS - maybe just dreaming.

Me too. It was ported from IRIX, and from what I hear it was more like a
port of the IRIX filesystem layer to Linux so XFS could be used largely
unchanged. Since XFS is being accepted into 2.4.25, I expect this has
been cleaned up. Once it's been in another stable release, I might be
game to play with it as it plays extremely well with LVM (unlike
reiserfs, which has occasional problems with snapshots).

> Thanks for that tip, Craig.   This will be a production environment so I'd
> better do my homework well in advance so there are not too many bounces to
> annoy people while I fine tune things.

Indeed. I was more suggesting that you install on a test machine and try
it out to see if it fits your needs and works well.

> For admin the GUI might be nice
> but I've grown used to editing config files :-(

Indeed. The advantage in this case, though, is that /the users/ can use
the standard interface to view and edit ACLs - meaning that you won't
have to step in to do every small change required. Depending on the
group of users this may be a disavantage, but if so you can always deny
them permission to alter permissions.

Craig Ringer