[OT] Buttonless mice [was: Re: [plug] Good GUI Interface Design]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 6 21:54:31 WST 2004

[Old thread, new thought.]

In message <20031220110433.GB6560 at erdos.home>
on Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 07:04:33PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 04:41:35PM +0800, James would have preferred
> me to have written:
> | > So[,] are you saying you prefer all-keyboard[] copy/paste to X-style, or
> | > that you prefer to use mixed mouse/Ctrl-C/mouse/CtrlV-style copy and
> | > paste?  (And don't answer "yes".  I know you would given the chance.)

Today I was finally getting around to making up xmodmap files for my
Debian/Intel workstation. I suddenly (after ten minutes of scratching my
head) realised that the Microsoft keyboard that I am currently using
does not have copy and paste keys. This may explain why keyboard copy-
and-paste does not make sense to some people. (However, even without
such keys, I continue to heartily disendorse selection/click<->yank
equivalence.) I heartily endorse modifying your key mappings. I suppose
because I do so much editing in vim (and gee, I love vimdiff), it is
very productive for me to remap keys. However, I do note that a lot of
the "extra keys" on some modern keyboards are all along the very top of
the board (and are labeled "volume", "play", "e-mail", etc.) Those are
great for the things for which they were designed, but even the function
keys are too far away for my text-editing tastes. Isn't it nice that
this thread subject has [OT] in it?