[plug] Raid rescue

Adam Hewitt adam.hewitt at globaldial.com
Wed Jan 7 13:01:51 WST 2004

On 07/01/2004, at 12:15 PM, Andrew Howell wrote:

> Do you mean you've just tried booting off the harddrive.
>
> Or you did I what I said, boot off the CD but use one of the disks as
> the root filesystem, rather than /dev/md0 or whatever.
>
> Andrew
<SNIP>

I mean I booted off the CD and used the individual disks as the root
partitions. However I realised after I sent that email that I am not
getting kernel panics when I try that but I am getting into maintenance
mode with /dev/md0 mounted read only. I remounted it read/write and I
was able to edit some files and re-run lilo and I am still getting the
same problems.

So now that I have access to the file system, does anyone have an idea
of how to fix the lilo boot problem or what the problem could be? and
yes I know that installing grub could help but I would rather learn
about the benefits of grub at a later date ; )

Adam.