[plug] more basic linux stuff

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jan 8 00:11:35 WST 2004

nothing wrong with newbie questions. Its how we all learn :)

Ok. programs tend to be all stuffed in a directory called /usr/bin
but you dont have to go there to type it in.

your system has a variable called ´path´ that points to this and a couple
of other directories , so you can type it anywhere and it knows what to
do.

if it doesnt work, it means it aint installed :)

also, theres plenty of good stuff in these directories

/usr/share <-- its a bit like the Program Files directory in windows,
except the binaries are in the /usr/bin (kinda)

/usr/share/doc <-- lots of lots of documentation. This is the good stuff.

/etc/ <-- where pretty much all the config files are.

and your best friend from now on;-
man (name of the program)

brings up manual pages in lovely terse geek speak.

Shayne,.

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.
Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.