[plug] GRUB

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jan 8 11:25:28 WST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:11:27AM +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> I have installed grub on my desktop at work and now the bloody thing
> wont boot (all I get is a grub> prompt). Here are my partition details
> and grub.conf

If you didn't specify the menu file at install time (or let the grub
install program do it for you), then you'll need to type in the
commands to boot manually:

kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda7
boot

> /dev/hda5             383         395      104391   83  Linux

Is this /boot? I've seen that grub will insist on being in
/boot/grub/ on the boot parition, meaning that in some cases it
comes out to be /boot/boot/grub/ ... Did you use grub-install?

> Could one of you grub gurus please tell me what I am doing wrong here, I
> have been trying for hours...

How did you install it? The is how I installed grub on my laptop,
with a single / partition on hda3 containing /boot as well.  (I find
grub-install is unreliable with devfs). If you can boot up with a
rescue disk or CD, mount your partitions and chroot into it, then
run:

# grub

grub> install (hd0,2)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,2)/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menu.lst

Where my menu.lst is your grub.conf. If /boot is separate, then
you'll want to use the grub partition for it, and drop the /boot.

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>