[plug] reinstall for new core hardware?

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Fri Jan 9 12:35:46 WST 2004

I finally got to this level!

Leon Brooks wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:11, Ben New wrote:
>

>>They both have onboard graphics, but I'd have to assume different
>>drivers are required.
>>

>Yes. XFDrake will sort that for you, and very politely too.

It was pretty damn straight-forward!  Just for the record, the exact
command (capitalisation) is
# XFdrake

>>Obviously there will need to be a kernel compile in there somewhere
>>(in my case, probably about 5 or 6 before I get it right) with the
>>increased number of processors and probably other things (?)
>>

>No, just use the precompiled SMP kernel supplied by Mandrake. Installing
>it on your old (UP) machine is perfectly safe, too. Actually, the Intel
>mobos like some of the features in kernel-enterprise so you might like
>to try that as well as kernel-smp.

Excellent :-)  I'm currently downloading the smp kernel, will give the
enterprise version a go also.  I'm assuming enterprise is a superset of
smp?  (i.e. it includes the smp bit?)

>One simple way to make the required changes is to simply upgrade to 9.2.
>Remember to point the finished product at a mirror and pull updates -
>including a new kernel - before you drop your shields.

Nah, I'd rather just keep the updates I've got...  I have a pretty poxy
download limit atm ;-/

>You might also like to try a 2.6 kernel, in which case I recommend
>pulling 2.6.0-1mdk from the Cooker SRPMS directory and rpm -bb'ing
>that.

I've been meaning to play around with the 2.6, but I think I'll run it
on another machine first, just to get my head around any changes (and I
assume there are quite a few, otherwise it wouldn't warrant a whole new
version number).  I'm surprised there hasn't been much about 2.6 on this
list actually (I know there were a few, but I was expecting all sorts of
raging debates over what's been done well and what hasn't).  In fact
this month's archives show only 1 message with the string "2.6" in the
subject.

Well, kernel-smp is now installed...  I'll give it a run.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben New