[plug] System breakage (SUDO && other general things)

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Jan 13 15:32:42 WST 2004

Hi, just been playing around with my Debian  (3.0r0 with parts r1) server
setting up things like mail servers and DNS servers.
I have sudo installed and up until 5 mins ago it was working a treat. Then
a problem that has occurred numerous time reoccurred. Sudo stopped work how
it was meant to. I can't invalidated the time stamp for the passwd, I can't
run commands that only root has access to. I can run things like apt-get
and ls through sudo but things like init and other root only commands are
gone from sudo. They still work under root. The commands that I can run
with sudo still run with escalated privileges so it still works partially.
Uninstalling sudo and purging the the install files and reinstalling don't
help.
I have been playing around with the hostname of the system to add it to a
domain which has worked fine and sudo was working for some time after all
the changes had been applied and tested.

Also another little annoyance that has reoccurred numerous times is to do
with the bash autocomplete just failing to work at times and giving some
error and then working like normal a couple of mins later or even 1 cmd later.

If anyone has solutions to these 'glitches' please feel free to share.
Tim

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA