[plug] Telnet slow to resolve some hostnames

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Jan 13 16:04:02 WST 2004

OS: Debian 3.0r1
I have qpopper running through ident. If I try to telnet into it using
certain hostnames it takes at lot longer than with others.
i.e.
--- Following cmd take long time to connect ---
telnet localhost 110            measured at 20s
telnet linmedia 110             measured at 40s
--- Following cmds succeed within approx 1s ---
ping localhost
telnet 127.0.0.1 110
telnet 192.168.0.8 110
telnet linmedia.white.lan 110
telnet mail.white.lan 100

To me it appears that telnet resolving names through the hosts file is
taking longer than the DNS server. I am running my own DNS server and my
nsswitch.conf file is configured to check hosts before dns. Even after
telnet localhost 110 connects the next time round it still takes a long time.
Tim
---- Below is output of /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf

tim at linmedia:/etc$ cat hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.8     linmedia
192.168.0.8     linmedia.white.lan

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
tim at linmedia:/etc$ cat nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
tim at linmedia:/etc$

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA