[plug] SATA & Debian

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 14 12:49:35 WST 2004

Scott Middleton wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 11:20, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am about to set up a new file server and would like to use two SATA
>>drives with software raid (are there any hardware SATA RAID solutions
>>that work with linux that would be better?).
>

> I took Craigs advice and used 3ware. Pricey but worked well.
>

>>Does anyone have any recomendations as to motherboards?  I would
>>preferably like to have video, lan and SATA built in if possible.  I am
>>trying to keep the price reasonable as this is for a small business with
>>only about 6 - 8 users at any one time.
>

> 3ware RAID will cost around $1100 depending. The one i bought can handle
> up to 8 HDD. We put 4x120 GB SATA HDDs RAID 5 and hotswapable.
>  The motherboard is an intel entry server board, with PATA and SATA. so
> i guess i can have around 16 HDDs if i wanted. We have found the entry
> server boards to be quite reliable so far. NICs e100 and e1000 onboard.

There goes the budget...  Perhaps I should have said "very small file
server"  2 x 80 gig mirrored disks will provide us with more storage
than we can possibly use.  Looks like that one is well out of reach...

>>Does anyone have any pointers as to getting debian woody on to SATA
>>disks?  As the install disk is so old, SATA would not even have been a
>>twinkle in the eye of its creator when the woody install disk was
>>already well matured.
>

> Bring a blank CD to our office and i will give a copy of our BF-2.24
> boot CD. Or, you can download it from
> http://members.westnet.com.au/kemner/
> These will fit onto a business card CD.

Thanks,  Got it.  That should help the cause heaps.  I had a quick look
at http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/ that is referenced
from your site and it says to use CD-RW rather than CD-R.  Any ideas why?

Does anyone know if there are any SATA controllers that should be
avoided with linux or is it is a non issue (with the appropriately
updated kernel)?

Thanks,
Tim Bowden