[plug] Power down

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Jan 14 14:32:05 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
>
> | on Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:44:09PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | > either compile yourself a kernel with apm and/or acpi support; or
> | > install an appropriate precompiled Debian kernel for your
> | > architecture,
> |
> | If I recall correctly, we already went through a large amount of list
> | e-mail subsequent to the installation of a non-bf kernel-image package.
>
> Fair enough, you're probably right.  (I wasn't sure whether this was the
> same person and/or he'd actually ended up getting that kernel
> installed.)
>
> Still, if APM is involved somewhere, installing apmd is probably
> worthhile; I think that the kernel doesn't enable APM unless you
> actually have a daemon doing evil stuff to it.  ACPI seems to power down
> without having acpid running, but acpid can do cool stuff like making
> the power button shut the machine down rather than just switching off
> the power immediately.

APM gets enabled by the kernel regardless (if you have APM compiled in and you have a BIOS that
supports APM).
ACPI can do really cool things in combination like acpid, like have the power switch trigger a
software suspend instead of a powerdown.
Or have the lid switch tied to swsusp or any other event based process.

Brad