Linux is cheap paradigm was Re: [plug] SATA & Debian

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 14 21:40:36 WST 2004

Scott Middleton wrote:
> One of the ideas i continually fight is the idea that Linux is cheap.
> Just because Linux doesn't require the same hardware requirements as
> other OS's doesn't mean you should skint(?) and choose the cheapest.

[ skimp, I think ]. I agree on this. The POST initially deployed our
core linux server as an LTSP server with a secondary role as an archival
store. While the clients were very cheap, we cut no corners with the
server - as a result, it cost us nearly ten grand, but is a powerful,
stable, flexible box with room to grow. The overall cost of our chosen
deployment was lower than the alternatives, but that was largely because
of our client hardware and avoiding the need for Citrix licenses or
Terminal Server CALs.

The biggest benefits for the POST weren't actually the expected ones.
Once the server was in place, I found it had plenty of extra capacity. I
migrated our mail over to it from an overloaded NT box, and that's saved
us no end of time and trouble ( we no longer randomly lose mail or
suffer random mailserver crashes, for example ). The fact that the
mailserver software didn't cost us a cent didn't hurt.

To my mind, that's where linux really comes into it's own. Stability,
flexibility, and quality low cost or free services and apps that run on
top. It's not the pricetag for linux that matters, but for:
	OS + database + mailserver + webserver + terminal services (etc).

> While i hate to say it some of the M$ servers i see are more reliable
> than the Linux servers clients get me in to fix.

It doesn't hurt that Win2k server is actually very stable. It's only
when you connect it to the internet without a good firewall or install
any (non-MS) programs on it that it gets ... iffy. Depends on the app,
of course. It seems to get really interesting only when running multiple
different tasks that like to install different versions of libraries
into the WINNT directory.

> So please to guys/gals selling Linux; Help Linux. Don't do it cheap do
> it right!

Agreed. Do it right the first time and you are very likely to be happier
with the results. It'll probably cost you a lot less in the long run,
too, and may have some pleasant surprises in store. It certainly did for
us at the POST.

Craig Ringer