[plug] SATA & Debian

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 15 06:11:55 WST 2004

I have found that using a single decent 120mm fan blowing into the case
made more of a difference than a copper heatsink and 6000rpm fan on a
athlon (use both though!), even though the case has two cheapo 80mm fans
already.

Make sure the fan is set high, or the case is mounted high off the
floor.  Dust gets in and clogs the works - gets really bad once you get
a decent airflow in a dirty environment.

Filters are a possibility, but I have a love hate relationship with
them.  Dust still collects (much reduced though), they restrict airflow,
and gets worse very quickly, and once clogged have to be cleaned.  In a
relatively clean environment though, most dust seems to go through an
unfiltered system and only small amounts collect over time.

BillK