[plug] Ben's Conf Comments (was: Cameron's Conf Comments - Monday 12th)

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Jan 15 13:13:53 WST 2004

If ya like :)

If I get a spare moment next week after the conference, I may do a bit
of a proper write up that you can put onto Linmagau (but you may need to
bug me about that :P).

Today so far, it started off with a Keynote address by Jon Hall entitled
"Programmers are from Mars, Managers/Users are from Uranus".  He put it
forth pretty well and it was rather enjoyable.  After that I went to a
session by Jeremy Malcom called "Could SCO vs IBM happen to you", he
pretty well explained the various legal issues that programmers have to
think about and address when working on open source projects (both
commercially and in their spare time), it was a rather good session also :)

Graeme Merral from AOL|7 explained the setup of basically the AOL/7
content sites and how they ended up with the setup they did (pretty much
all OSS).  Oh and for those interested, Home and Away and Tonight
Tonight are their most popular sites.  Amusingly enough their largest
ever spike in accesses was after one of those "Soup Diet" reports on
Today Tonight :P.

After that I went to the Corporate Linux Evangelism talk by Con
Zymaris.  He put forth some good points and things to think about when
trying to get management in particular to look at Linux seriously.  It
definitely gave me a few ideas to think about.

The last session I haven't been to as all of the talks in that slot are
pretty much heavy programming related type topics, which would go
straight over my head (as I'm not a programmer).  Going to head back
down to the Uni in 10-15 mins for the "Works in Progress" presentations
and then the LA AGM after that.

/ Ben