[plug] "unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent"

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 16 15:23:18 WST 2004

At 14:21 15/01/2004 +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
>Dear PLUG list members,
>
>Attempting to load Linux onto a 2.8GHz P4, 2.5GB RAM and SCSI HDDs.   It
>comes pre-installed with WinXP and I will blow that away of course but at
>power-on there is compelling

Partially answering my own post but this might save someone heartache in
future...

In the BIOS setup there is a section dealing with Serial ATA
interfaces.   Factory set to Auto.   Set to Disable and the RedHat CD now
happily reads and is loading as I write.   The resource conflict is still
present as far as Knoppix is concerned and Debian still fails to see any
SCSI drives even with the bf24 kernel.

Intending to get Debian on there come heck or high water, I grabbed the
aic79xx source from the Adaptec web site to make a driver diskette but two
issues arise:
1) the code appears to be more elderly than the same modules in the current
2.4.2x kernels
2) short of building a new kernel, how do I employ what is really just a
snippet of code?   I tried the usual ./configure thing but not surprisingly
it barfs through lack of supporting information.   Apparently this driver
code is supposed to be inserted into the kernel source.  How?   It does not
seem to have any of the usual patch tags.   Just copy it into the scsi
subdir maybe?   But that would overwrite what seems to be more recent code!

The other thought was to try loading the supplementary drivers as called up
in the Debian installation.   Tried feeding it one of the driver-x.bin
images written to floppy but it claimed could not read it.   Maybe simply a
faulty diskette but suspect I am not doing things correctly.   What is the
process / format of media for including modules in a Debian CD
installation?   I could revert to putting woody on floppies but I would
rather not!   Installation media is CD #1 of the Debian woody set.   CD is
bootable.

Any thoughts?
Cheers and TIA,
Denis