[plug] SAMBA and firewalls

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jan 19 12:53:44 WST 2004

chris.griffin at swiftdsl.com.au wrote:
> Could someone please help with what ports I need to allow through a
> firewall to:
>
> 1) Allow the SAMBA server to authenticate against a NT domain controller
>    (don't ask)
> 2) Allow users to connect to shares on the SAMBA server

137,138,139 tcp and udp will work, though I don't think all are used for
both protocols. You may also need port 445. If you need more specific
information, I'd be surprised if a google search didn't turn up the answer.

BTW, it'd be much appreciated if you could avoid replying to existing
threads when asking a new question. It stuffs up threaded mail clients
that track the 'In-Reply-To' and 'References' headers. It's best to
compose a new message instead.

Craig Ringer