[plug] strncmp in shell

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Jan 19 15:00:05 WST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:53:46PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 14:18, Russell Steicke wrote:
> <snip>
> > I've never used these things in anger, but know they exist.  You might
> > also try the ${FOO#bar} construct.
>
> btw: that stuff is explained in the man bash page under: Parameter
> Expansion as I once wrote:
>
> http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2003-07/msg00997.html

I think that searching the man page is a given, for many members of the
list.  We can probably guess which list members.

However, knowing what to search when the syntax is as weird as that...

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
People often find it easier to be a result of the past than a cause of the
future.