[plug] Panic and keyboard leds

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Mon Jan 19 16:03:25 WST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:40:50AM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> >The flashing leds are telling you it has paniced.
> >Set up a serial console and you can capture the oops on another machine.
>
> Sorry, that was not a particularly helpful response.

I disagree, that told me what I was after.  (There is no information in
the flashes, just in the fact that it's happening.)  Thank you for that,
and the additional info below.

> Checkout Documentation/serial-console.txt in your linux source dir for
> pointers on setting up a serial console. Grab the oops with a terminal
> program on another PC and then feed it into ksymoops on your machine to
> give you/someone else an idea of where the oops occurred in the kernel and
> what may have caused it.
>
> Even better, install the morse-oops patch and take down the complete oops
> info via the keyboard leds flashing it out in morse code! (I'd go the
> serial console option if I were you!)

While that's cool[0] (and many of the google hits I did see talked about
it) the serial console is a much better idea.

[0] If I get to LCA2005 I'm going to conduct a count of the number of
times I hear the work "cool" over the conf.  There were many, many of
them this year.  :)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says: