[plug] conference linguistics.

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jan 19 17:51:24 WST 2004

Its funny you say that.

I went to an enviromental conference last year and watched a rather bizare
language meme spread thru the conf that had me baffled.

A few folks in perth had taken to replying to things afirmatively by
saying "yeah yeah", which I dubbed 'double afirmative'.

Before long *EVERYONE* was doing it.

By the end of the conference I almost felt my ears where going to bleed
with this little linguistic oddity. Every eng-lit educated bone in my body
was reeling at it.

Humans are funny things like that.

:)

Shayne