[plug] conference linguistics.

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jan 19 21:05:48 WST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:39, Ben Jensz wrote:
> I didn't know it was possible to say "rock" as many times as Stewart
> Smith did at the Linux Australia SGM before the AGM....

Also "totally", "dude(s)", "sweet", "awesome" and others. Study Crush's
vocabulary, Grasshopper, for the path to enlightenment.

>> A few folks in perth had taken to replying to things afirmatively by
>> saying "yeah yeah", which I dubbed 'double afirmative'.

>> Every eng-lit educated bone in my body was reeling at it.

One eng-lit prof had just finished explaining to his class that two
negatives always made a positive, but two positives never made a
negative, only to be shut down by a student replying, with heavy
sarcasm as befits the mode, "Yeah, right!"

Cheers; Leon