[plug] Outline of advice to aussie business.

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jan 21 08:13:31 WST 2004

For those not inclined to download .doc files where .txt suffices:

-------------------------START--------------------------
SCO's Linux Licensing scheme.
Reasons why Australian Business should not cooperate with SCO's Linux
Licensing program.

INTRODUCTION
Quick synopsis of situation at hand.

Unix history till Linux. Economics and the failure of SCO.

The IBM Lawsuit.
When it was launched. The discovery process . Initial reactions to it.
IBM's counter suit.

Discredited claims of ownership.
ABI files.

The files displayed at the SCO conference.

JFS & NUMA.

SGI.

Caldera programmers.

No known infringement has been identified by anyone , anywhere, ever.

SCO still distributes Linux code , and has therefore agreed to GPL
conditions.

SCO does not own Unix licences. Novel does.
The transfer of business.

SCO does not own copyrights to UNIX.

Novel exercises its rights and absolves SGI and IBM of infringement.

Novel threatens to audit SCO's compliance with its request to cease and
desist in these actions.

SCO does not have permission to disobey the GPL.
The GPL is not a copyright statement, it is a licence. Although it is
colloquially refered to as a “copy left”, the GPL is a licence that
relies of Copyright to gain force of law.

If the Licensee does not agree to the conditions, the Licensee must
STOP.

The principle IP owners of the Linux Kernel are Linus Torvalds, Red Hat
, IBM, and many others. None of these parties have consented to the
violation of the GPL.

The SCO Licence directly breaches the GPL rights of the IP holders.

Participating in this breach opens business to be liable for charges of
software piracy.

Furthermore, if the ACCC rules this to be Unfair, the penalties range in
the tens of millions of dollars.

SCO are forbidden from these actions in Germany.
The Linuxtag Lawsuit.

The complaints to the ACCC.

Participating in the SCO Source Scheme exposes business to charges of
Software Piracy.
Maybe?

Recommendations to Australian Businesses.
The invoices are illegal and should be treated as such.

Linux uses should feel confident that there software investments are
safe.

Gartner has recommended Migrating SCO boxes away due to the likelyhood
of an SCO corporate collapse.

If the company feels compelled to move away from Linux, the company
should consider the BSD operating system.