[plug] gall and good news

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jan 21 08:18:54 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 07:56, Alex Polglaze wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> How's this for gall. These are extracts from and outsourcing newsletter that I
> receive. If Seattle bans outsourcing, then perhaps computer users worldwide
> should ban outsourcing their operating systems. One can only hope.
>
> Second article mentions another Linux deployment.
>
> Alex
>
> Seattle to Ban Outsourcing to India	Top
> Summary
> Furious about Washington State contractors shipping tech jobs to India and other
> countries, two lawmakers in Seattle have announced that they will bring a
> legislation to ban outsourcing. Republican Zack Hudgins, a Democrat from Tukwila
> and a former Amazon.com employee, and Sandra Romero, a Democrat from Olympia,
> said that they will introduce the legislation to prevent State government
> contracts from being awarded to companies that send jobs to other countries.
> ug

The problems of the mixed economy yet again. Anyone in the world should
be able to offer goods and services on an open market. I mean how many
countries have been for years (and still today) purchasing US software?

My view has changed quite a lot. I was a cyber-communist during my
teenage years but now I support laissez-faire capitalism. Still I see it
as a tool to support similar outcomes:

* Smash the monopolies
* Allow everyone to live and work (even if possible need to work for
less when they first start -just don't chain them anywhere and teach
them how to reach their potential-)
* Bring about development of the relations of production and exchange.

Sorry about OT I'll stop now but e-mail me if you want to talk further.

regards,

Chris

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.