[plug] converting mov to mpeg or avi

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jan 22 12:58:59 WST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 22:48, David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My new digital camera will create movies in quicktime (mov) format.  Does
> anyone know what linux/unix tool I could use to convert these to mpeg or
> avi files?  (Several of my friends don't have Quick-time and are not
> allowed to install it onto their [work] computers).

Transcode and mencoder are the two main video conversion tools I know of. I
don't know if transcode handles quicktime, but mencoder certainly does
(although it requires quicktime libs). I've used it many a time to convert
video formats - often to convert high-res .movs which run incredibly slowly
on my aging PC to .avi/divx, which run perfectly well. ^_^

For Debian, unofficial apt sources are listed at:
   ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/index.html

... then:
   apt-get install mencoder-686 w32codecs
(NB: There are variants of mencoder based on CPU type: 686, k6, k7).

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |