[plug] Random cc segfaults?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jan 27 20:09:13 WST 2004

Gah! This is driving me mad! I'm trying to compile something (Kernel 2.6.1
in fact) on a Debian/Sarge box, with a Celeron 2.2GHz CPU. Every now &
again, compilation dies, with gcc segfaulting. If I repeat the build
command, it continues where it leaves off, and is fine.

I've also had it very occasionally just sit there thrashing, and never
finishing a compile.

This is also not a new problem (it just rears its head whenever I go to
recompile the kernel ^_^).

What could be the cause of these problems? I've tested the RAM, & it's fine.
Could it be a dodgy CPU? Is there any CPU equivalent to RAM's memtest86?
Could it be a dodgy motherboard?
How can I isolate and prove what the source of the problem is?
If I just continue the build, is there a chance other errors have snuck in
to the build (without build errors), which may come back to haunt me later?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |