[plug] Debian mini-iso.sh script or boot-floppies .deb?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 28 14:01:15 WST 2004

Dear PLUG list members,

I'm in the process of making a customised install CD for Debian Woody -
customised kernel with specific RAID controller drivers.   This will be the
Gold Standard (tm) re-installation CD in case things turn nasty one
day.   Rolling the new kernel is no problem but it is too large for a
single floppy (surprise, surprise) so I turned my attention to Debian's, et
al, instructions for making mini ISOs.   The information I have seen so far
(and I've done a bit of digging!) is either incomplete, apparently
contradictory or contains url's that point to inaccessible sites.   The
latter most likely thanks to Debian's break-in.

So... does anyone have the mini-iso.sh script available, or the
boot-floppies.deb please?   I figure that if I can read the script I should
be able to work out what is going on and cobble together something to do
the job.   After all, what should be involved is a boot loader, a kernel
and some scripting to do the initial setup.   I have several .iso's
including CD #1 from the Debian 3.0r1 set, the LordSutch mini-CD and
another (micro?) iso from a university in Orlando.   The problem is getting
at the guts of the iso image to transplant a kernel, modules and system map
file, etc.

The UWA Debian mirror is generally up to date but apt-get barfs with
package not found and the Debian package search site cannot find such a
package now either.   Eduard Bloch's site on Debian alludes to the package
/ scripts but cautions that since the break-in, many links are broken until
everything has been thoroughly checked by the developers.   Fair enough, but...

Oh, the other thing I did was to create an ips.o driver module linked
against the 3.0r1 CD kernel (2.4.18-bf2.4) and write it to floppy but it
failed to load, even on the alternative console.   Don't recall now what
the errors were but seemed pretty odd as I'd followed the recipe fairly
accurately I thought :-(

So, mini-iso.sh or boot-floppies.deb, anyone?

TIA,
Denis

PS Once I get this sorted it seems to me that others may be interested in
the process.   A LinMagAu article perhaps, if interested? :-)