[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Wed Jan 28 15:51:19 WST 2004

Plenty of snips, (nip / tuck)

Quoting senectus <senectuskal at hotmail.com>:
 >> What really bugs me is that its MUCH harder to obtain a second level domain
 >> than it is to get a first level domain..
 >> Ie:
 >> I needed nothing more than a Credit Card to register a .net but to get a
 >> net.au I need shit loads of ID and business proof etc etc..

 >Damn right !  I expect it to be as easy to register .com.au as it is to
 >register .com. Not going to happen of course :-(

 >Hooker

Isn't this so we don't have the same domain squatting problems as the US?  So
that people don't abuse it quite as much?

I may be wrong, it's just what I have been told...

Phil.

And what you say makes sense... but there must be better ways of controlling
squatting than just "make it bloody hard to get"

Stitch it all together.

You don't have to be a company to register a .com.au, you have to be a business,
with a registered business name. BTW, it is illegal to carry on a business under
any name other than your own name, without being registered.

Registering a business name costs $103 for three years, "either you are a
business, or you are not".

Preventing name squatting is an extremely valuable service for legitimate
businesses. Making people jump through hoops to prove that they are entitled to
the name makes good sense. If you are entitled to the name, it is not onerous.
However, if you are not, it will take a lot of time and you won't get the name
anyway.

I think it is a good system, IMHO.

Alex Polglaze