[plug] [OT] domain name registration

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Jan 29 10:19:08 WST 2004

Russ Powers wrote:

> Yup, visibility is world wide. But IMHO, most people look for .com
> first. Some of those may give up if they don't hit your site first try.

I haven't seen that in my experience either.  For instance if you were a
company called "Acme" and you were based in Australia, most people would
type "www.acme.com.au" if they were guessing the web site URL.  If Acme
was a global company, they'd try www.acme.com.

> It's a marketing decision. At less then AU$15 per year it's a very
> small investment for potentially very big gain. One customer gained
> that would have been lost covers that fee for a long time. A great
> return on investment.

You also have to consider that if a potential client doesn't know of
your particular company, then they'll most likely be using a search
engine.  And a lot of people search for Australian based web sites by
looking for the .au on the end.  i.e. by typing "site:au".  If you only
have .com, then you'll get missed out.

/ Ben