[plug] large swap space and raid array

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jan 29 23:55:23 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 23:47, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 23:37, Denis Brown wrote:
> > Okay, split up the swap into different partitions across different disks!
> > Err... yes, but here I have all my "disk eggs" in one RAID array "basket."
> > So I have this gigantic SCSI drive staring out at me, all /dev/sda of it.
>
> That's actually going to be a problem.

Sorry. I should perhaps say "that, depending on how much swapping you
actually do, could be a performance problem."

> > Given the sheer amount of physical memory, is a
> > smaller swap a safe choice (ie.2GB?)
>
> Maybe ... but there's no harm in having lots anyway.

BTW, my server at work has 2GB of RAM, and it's barely touched swap in
it's history. I set up sensible ulimits for users, so a runaway process
can't thrash the swap, and it works wonderfully. Of course, I'm working
with many light tasks, not a few heavyweight memory hogs so it's a
rather different situation.

BTW - just out of curiosity - what's the hardware spec on the machine?

Craig Ringer