[plug] Debian Kernel compile

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Jan 30 12:21:41 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 12:11, Leon Blackwell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:04:25PM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > Some time ago, I came across a guide to compiling and installing new
> > kernels on a debian system that showed how to create a .deb of the new
> > kernel.  I lost the guide.  Does anyone know of the location of any such
> > guide?
>
> Install kernel-package and have a look at the docs in
> /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/

As an aside to this, does anyone else not trust the manufactured kernel
.deb post-install script to handle lilo updating?

I experienced some problems a while back with it so since then I rename
all kernels and manually enter them in lilo.conf instead of relying on
the vmlinuz/old links etc - no problems if I do that.  If I don't and I
remove old kernel packages before installing new ones etc, it would get
in a mess and potentially leave the system unbootable if left unchecked.

I'm happy with lilo, but for those that use Grub, does the resulting
kernel packages play ball with it, or does one have to do it manually as
I end up doing it anyway with lilo?

Ryan