[plug] Hack, triplej and open source

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jul 1 07:43:30 WST 2004

Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:28:56PM +0800, John Knight wrote:
>
>>I'm assuming that most missed it, but on Hack today, there was a piece on
>>Bill Gate's 'donation', and it went onto an interview with the Democrats'
>>IT man, and how governments should turn to open source, etc. If someone
>>else was listening, I'm should they could explain it much better or even
>>provide some kind of link!
>

> I heard it while driving home.  The interviewee was Senator Brian Greig.
> He sounded quite well informed, but I was a bit surprised at one thing.
> He mentioned that companies could save money because the boss realised
> that "I've been supplying my people with a Rolls Royce on the desktop,
> when they only need a Mini".

Minis are more fun and much better at going round hard corners than a
Rolls Royce :)

People seem to like car analogies. I feel like Linux is more of a high
performance car that you want to tweak all the time to see if you can
get that extra umph. What is that car that goes fast and still has rope
handles ;P

All the best
Jacqueline McNally

--