[plug] Hack, triplej and open source

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 1 08:54:21 WST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 07:43, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> Russell Steicke wrote:
> > I heard it while driving home.  The interviewee was Senator
> > Brian Greig. He sounded quite well informed, but I was a bit
> > surprised at one thing. He mentioned that companies could save
> > money because the boss realised that "I've been supplying my
> > people with a Rolls Royce on the desktop, when they only need a
> > Mini".

> Minis are more fun and much better at going round hard corners
> than a Rolls Royce :)

One is usually chauffeured in a Roller.

Upon checking the online dictionary, Webster says about "Chauffeur":
   1. [pl.] (F. Hist.) Brigands in bands, who, about 1793,
      pillaged, burned, and killed in parts of France; -- so
      called because they used to burn the feet of their victims
      to extort money.

Hmmm...

Windows is more like Lada; old technology, unreliable,
high-maintenance  and you have to add on lots of stuff to make it
even bearable.

Linux is more like a "Volkswagen"; the People's Car. Except much
better because you don't have to buy it. You can build it out of
free parts and it'll still run.