[plug] VW parts was: Hack, triplej and open source

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 16:05:55 WST 2004

> To bring this post back on topic I'm trying to figure out a way I can
> log (preferably to my Linux laptop) my engines oil temperature (say 30
> sec intervals) over a long journey (say an 1 and half hours). VW motors
> are supposed to run optimally at an oil temp of about 125 C, but I think
> mine is running hotter. (At the moment I'm not exactly sure what the
> temp is as I have no oil temp gauge). As a little project I was thinking
> I might try and rig up a temp probe and do something like lm-sensors for
> my motor (what happens to motor temp when I am doing 100 down the
> freeway) and then try and work on some additional ways of cooling it.
> Real time stats would be nice to have to see how planned cooling changes
> affect the motor when the car is moving or at idle. (Beetle motors are
> air-cooled so I can't just slap on a bigger radiator or flush the
> system).

Parallax have a little unit called a "basic stamp", which essentially is a
little pic that can be programmed in a simple basic sorta manner.

Now , if you combine it with a ADC converter and some sort of temperature
probe thingee (maybe a dick smith kit or something), you can bet the pic
to output an RS232 signal that can be captured on the linux box and turned
into a display of some sort.

There may even be rs232 thermometers out there....