[plug] MIME Types by file contents

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 00:25:26 WST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 14:48, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Bernd Felsche wrote:

> If all you're worried about is PDFs, then:
>
> def ispdf(filepath):
> 	return file(filepath).read(4) == '%PDF'
>
> should do the trick nicely. It's not hard to generalise that to handle
> any other format kind enough to use magic numbers or header codes.

The Linux/Unix "file" command already does that so to save
re-implementing it as a whole, I've cobbled together the attached
Python function and test program.

The list returned by the function contains not only a maintype and
subtype, but also stuff that might lend itself to smarter encoding
overall... but I'm not too fussed right now.