[plug] live desktop wallpaper

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 07:38:42 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 06:20, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Saw an WinXP desktop yesterday that had a copy of the perth weather
> radar map embedded as the wallpaper, being updated live.
>
> This seemed to be under the control of a running application - I presume
> linux (I use gnome) can do the same but how?
>
> BillK
>
> radar map: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/radar/IDR123.gif

You can do in one of 2 ways. You can disable nautilus from drawing the
desktop (see gconf editor) and then put anything you like on the root
window, such as a 3D screensaver or wallpaper using imagemagick etc :)

The second method is to write a perl script that grabs the GIF every few
mins and then uses gconf again to set the wallpaper. I can give you a
hand either way so if you tell me which way you want to do this I'll
write a PERL script you can use with cron.

Regards
Michael Collard