[plug] back up over network

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 13:12:52 WST 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 12:53, Ryan Smith wrote:
> Im sure this has been asked before but I cant find it anywhere so Ill

You seem to have a faulty keyboard or are you just saving the
a'post'ro'phe's for abuse? :-)

> ask it again. I want to back up my root partition on my server and store
> it as an image on my computer. the partition is only about 600MB and i
> cant store the image on my server cause its lacking in hard drive space.
> So would something like this work?
> dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=backup.iso bs=2k | scp ryan at tesla:

That's not how you make an iso image. ;-)

dd if=/dev/hdd1 bs=8k conv=sync | ssh -C ryan at tesla "cat>/some/where"

But you should be using something more robust than dd because the
filesystem can change during the process and a restore will just
cause headaches.