[plug] DVD players

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 3 21:29:12 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 19:55, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 19:39, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 21:29, John Knight wrote:
> > <snip valuable detail>
> >
> > > .deb packages for all of these proggies are avaialable on the official
> > > websites of each project if you'd prefer to go that way. xine comes in two
> > > parts, the xine-lib and you then pick a UI for the top, the default is best
> > > for most people. MPlayer do not support the binary packages and would prefer
> > > you built from source. IF you need help with it, my article went up today at
> > > linux.com (shameless plug coming):
> > >
> > > http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/01/1940236
> > >

> > Thanks for the detailed reply and link to your great Article.
> >
> > An interesting observation from the videolan site, in the debian
> > packages section, they support woody and sid, but claim sarge is to hard
> > to  support and you really shouldn't be running sarge unless you know
> > what you're doing. I would have thought sid was the hard one to
> > support.  Anyone able to offer more than a guess as to why sarge would
> > be so hard to support?
> >

> I have no idea but it is best to check if the vlc packages are available
> in your apt sources first and if so get them from there. You will also
> likely need wxvlc.

I'm using the vlc source from sarge (apt-get --compile source vlc), but
libdvdcss from the videolan site.  Only problem is vlc wants libdv2-dev
(dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libdv2-dev) which the
debian site knows nothing about.  I've seen lots of other references to
libdv2-dev on the web so it must exist in some form or other.  Any idea
what might be happening?

Tim Bowden