[plug] strange modprobe using up cpu?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Mon Jul 5 16:20:30 WST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, quoth Shayne O'Neill:

> I'm getting this too! 2.2 kernel on woody (Currently updating to 2.4)

Good idea! 2.2 is positively ancient.

> Jul  5 22:34:18 yourguild kernel: VFS: file-max limit 4096 reached
[...]
> Jul  5 22:34:20 yourguild kernel: kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s
> -k net-pf-10, errno = 23
> Jul  5 22:34:24 yourguild kernel: kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and
> stopped
> Jul  5 22:34:46 yourguild kernel: Unable to load interpreter
> I wonder if its a worm/vunerability. Its odd you are having mental case
> modprobe freakouts at the same time.....

Your error is different from Chris's

The important line here is the "file-max limit 4096 reached"

You need to tweak your /proc/sys/fs/file-max and inode-max values, or
upgrade to a more modern kernel, which you are :)

You have run out and as a result you are unable to fork any more processes
- so the kernel can't run modprobe, and other processes are unable to fork
("Unable to load interpreter")

 - Matt