[plug] ADSL: Hardware Gateways vs Linux

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Jul 5 18:22:59 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 17:59, Russ Powers wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 02:37 pm, Chris Caston wrote:
> <snip>
> > I look forward to the day when someone releases a Linux powered adsl
> > modem.
> >

> Like this?
>
> http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601
> http://www.portless.net/ewrt/

I did mention it. I've never owned one though and I can't just from the
website work out if it actually INCLUDES an ADSL modem as part of its
function.

"Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole
network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection, files, and
other resources such as printers and hard disk storage space. "

You can setup a normal computer to SHARE an internet connect but I can't
see any evidence to suggest the device can also connect to ADSL.

If it can please let me know because I will buy one tomorrow!

thanks,

Chris